How can we make our site better?

Please provide a class summary table like MSDN had

Example:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/uwp/api/Windows.UI.Xaml.Controls.Grid
All the inherited members are just a giant unformatted sea of hyperlinks. And for everything implemented by the class, it's a giant scrolling page trying to find anything. Old MSDN had a nicely formatted summary table listing all of the class's members, properties, and events, with hyperlinks and a brief description of the member. It's *incredibly* difficult to now to get an "at a glance" view of what a class actually does.

14 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Blake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Regardless the other niceties you may have added to help, this one change has made help unusable. Like the example above, take a look at Graphics.DrawImage. Visual Studio F1 no longer takes me to the method I'm interested in, but instead to a large 'sea of hyperlinks'. I then have to hunt through the page to find what I'm looking for, and even then the link does not take me to the right place on the page.

Your Help system for 20 years ago was easier to use than this.

• Ken Walker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one of the ESSENTIAL purposes of API documentation. The old MSDN layout for Properties, Methods, Events, etc. was fantastic. I do not use the new API browser because the "paragraph" style (instead of a list) of pure links (without any summary information) is virtually useless for programmers. And grouping the members by where they are inherited from is counter-productive. It makes it harder to look, for example, for methods that begin with "Get"--now I have to look at several different lists (those for each ancestor this class inherits from). PLEASE return to the MSDN-style layout.

Feedback and Knowledge Base