How can we make our site better?

Fix D2D documentation

D2D should be plain obvious. Tons of interfaces interfaces are missing from content tree and offline help.

Example:
– browse the content tree (Desktop technologies /Graphics and Gaming /DirectX /Direct2D /API /Interfaces)
– notice a ton of interfaces are missing in the first place (mostly the original interfaces, but now that I look closely, ID2D1Bitmap1 is missing, too; its a mess …)
– click ID2D1DeviceContext1 => available offline
– follow the link to ID2D1DeviceContext => missing, resolved online
– if you look for ID2D1DeviceContext in the index you can get to some of the methods (available offline), but not to the interface

Next point: WPF documentation, it’s not as obvious as D2D, mainly because WPF got ripped out off the content tree thoroughly in the first place, so to find the broken pages you need to follow links; but from here it’s easy, just follow literally any link which is not part of a class documentation, and you end up broken. Either its not available in the offline help, or if it is available it has been ripped off the content tree and index. For both cases the images were broken as far as I could see.

Example:
– Enter “BitmapSource” in the index
– Click “about BitmapSource class”
– Follow the link at the bottom to “Imaging overview” (missing, shows a broken online page with script errors + broken image links)
– Follow the link at the bottom to “2D Graphics and Imaging” (the page is available offline)
– try to “sync to content tree”, notice that the page is not in the content tree
– of the various “optimizing performance: …” links at the bottom, some of them are available offline, some are not

… I can go on for hours, the WPF help is simply broken. The conceptual documentation and overviews were very well written and are important, both as reference of concepts and to explain WPF to other people. When I want to look up how exactly brushes (or geometry or something else) works I always go first to the overview page with their nice summary and explanatory images, I do not browse through multiple subclasses trying to figure out which I need.

Next point: Desktop Win32 API. It’s probably the most controversial because you labeled this stuff “legacy” and intentionally removed it in an attempt to slim down the help book size. My point is, a lot of the so called “legacy” APIs is still very relevant to writing desktop applications (or maintenance of old applications) and should be available offline in some way or another. Maybe make a separate book or something. Ripping it out is not a solution for those who need it.

Example:
– Look at help for the RegisterClassEx function (used in the template for new win32 desktop applications)
– Follow to WNDCLASSEX structure
– hbrBackground and the various links in its explanation, some of which are available offline (UnregisterClass, WM_ERASEBKGND), some of which are not (PAINTSTRUCT, BeginPaint)
– notice that WM_ERASEBKGND is available offline but WM_PAINT is not

8 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Den DelimarskyAdminDen Delimarsky (Program Manager, Microsoft) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...